Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Personal Note...

I was wanting to do a wonderfully brilliant and clever post about The Smiths, but alas I did not feel it necessary to drone on about boring details such as the year they were formed, the year they broke up and all that shit. I thought I'd just take a breather and describe them on a personal level for myself.

I'm going to get total hate for writing this, but Morrissey's lyrics are by far the most important thing about the Smiths. Yes, Johnny Marr remains to this day of my favourite guitarists, but that's besides the point. Morrissey's lyrics were the first (most likely) documented that actually spoke clear honesty about heart break, satire, hate, lust, love and sex. I myself, like many many Smiths fans before me, really identify with Morrissey, we're very much like personality twins. He was very similar to myself when he was a teenager, locking himself in his bedroom for days on end furiously writing and thinking he was awfully important. I feel the same, despite the fact that I worship rock stars more than I worship movie stars. We both share a dark sense of humour that stems from loneliness and heart break. Not to mention the fact that we're both pretty outgoing per se, but suffer on the inside... oh, look at me going on about this stuff.

 The remarkable thing about The Smiths is their ability to be a basic four piece band and yet manage to remain completely original. It baffles me and I wish I could harness that power. THE POWER.

Where do I even begin? I would probably be nothing without The Smiths's records playfully spinning in my home, I would probably be nothing without Morrissey's killer quaff, I would probably be nothing without the lyrics "a friendship sadly, lost, well this is true, and yet it's false. and did I ever mention by the way I never did like your face".



I just thought this was necessary.
thankz guiz.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This band is not only one of my favorites, but Morrissey is one of my all time heroes. Along with Johnny Marr and his genius guitar playing.

    ReplyDelete