Here's something I've been wanting to do a post about for a long time. A very underrated band that's still alive and kicking, Antony and the Johnsons.
It's fronted by the beautiful, bouncy and pleasantly plump Antony Hegarty. Antony was born in West Sussex, UK in 1971. He relocated twice, first to Amsterdam and then finally to California. His life was most likely turbulent, dealing with being homosexual and desperately dreaming to be a woman, Antony's first form of musical inspiration came from Boy George. Boy George, of Culture Club fame, is openly gay and stunningly fabulous. Antony moved to New York City in the beginning of the 90s and slowly began to make his voice heard in the art world. He was given a grant from New York Foundation for the Arts, so he began to round up musicians which he eventually began calling "The Johnsons" and recorded some of the songs he had written. His debut album Antony and the Johnsons was released in 2000. Antony's extremely unusual singing voice set him apart from every other musician. Ever. He caught the attention of many famous musicians, especially Lou Reed who invited Antony to accompany him on stage for the filming of Julian Schnabel's Berlin: Live at St. Ann's Warehouse a live performance of my personal favourite Lou Reed album, Berlin. Antony sang backup vocals and then a duet with Lou on the song Candy Says. In 2005 Antony's next album was released. I Am a Bird Now is a stunning collection of songs with duets from a slew of music stars like Lou Reed, Rufus Wainwright, and even his idol, Boy George. This album was praised highly by critics and fans alike. Followed by The Crying Light in 2009 and this year's Swanlights, Antony has really made a name for himself. It's not simply his heartfelt and stunningly open lyrics, but his voice that stands out.
Antony's voice is a power house. Capable of stunning range, Antony sings from his throat. He curls his bottom lip in and sways along with the rhythm, as if in a trance. His long tangled hair in his round face, his blue eyes peer from underneath the mess. He's mesmerizing to watch. He sings with enough sorrow to break the happiest person but can always lift me out of depression. I'm afraid to say that he is not for everyone, in fact many people are frightened by the way he behaves and sings. It's all a matter of getting used to him, but I was absolutely in love the first time I heard him.
One of my favourite live performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loNU4fVpO8E
he actually breaks down during it, it's stunning.
Here's a couple more to check out:
a depressingly brilliant number
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Ds8rhNF7M
his new single (when I say 'new' I mean it was released this August)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Xdm5yS6PY

No comments:
Post a Comment